I saw this peachy rice salad recipe in my latest issue of BHG, and I knew it was one that I had to make for our family when they are all in town next week for the holiday. I did a trial run for Mike and me, and we both agreed that it is spot on. I have made another peach salad and shared it here on the blog, but this one is so different with the addition of rice, onions, and even tomatoes. I hope you give it a try. It can be made the day you plan to eat it or even the day before. The leftovers were just as good. I made a few minor changes to the recipe based on the ingredients I had on hand and made note of the changes in the recipe.
Peachy Rice Salad
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked Carolina Gold rice (I just used medium grain rice)
- 2 to 3 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (I used regular tomatoes but removed the seeds and diced)
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 to 2 jalapeno chile peppers (I omitted these)
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red pepper jelly (I used peach jam)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon style mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook rice according to directions. Rinse, drain, and chill.
- Add peaches, blueberries, tomatoes, basil, onion and peppers, if using.
- In a separate bowl combine vinegar, oil, basil, jam or jelly, mustard, and salt. Mix till well combined. Pour over salad mixture and stir gently.
- Chill before serving
I don’t think there’s anything better than a fresh peach that is at its perfect ripeness level. If you enjoy peach recipes, then you might want to check out these recipes that we have shared here on the blog before. This peach mango margarita has been a huge hit on Pinterest, and it is so very delicious. Another popular adult beverage that would be just great for the upcoming holiday is this peach sangria. If you want to enjoy peaches this coming winter, then make this peach jam. It really isn’t hard at all. I used it instead of the pepper jelly for the sweetener, but you could easily use honey.
Well, friends, that’s it for this week. I am meeting Jordan half way today and picking up Little Miss for a weekend stay. Jordan and Yankee are going to enjoy the Chihuly exhibit at the Biltmore this weekend before arriving here Sunday. We are going to take Little Miss bicycling and fishing. I’m sure there will be some cookie baking, too.
I made this salad (from the BHG magazine article) but thought it was “flat” even after adding some salt at the end (when tossing with the dressing). I will make again, but will experiment with the seasoning. Also, I spent a considerable amount to order the Carolina Gold rice, but I’m not sure it added significantly, for the price and difficulty in obtaining this ingredient. I’m curious at to what you thought of the recipe.
Christine, we liked the peachy rice salad. I, too, seasoned to taste with the salt. Based on your remarks, now I am glad that I didn’t get the Carolina Gold rice. It could have been a product placement that BHG was paid to use.