Mom is the one usually cooking up the recipes around here. I enjoy cooking, but I usually eat the meal before I think to take a picture. This meal I remembered, and it was soooooo good that I wanted to make sure I shared with y’all. We follow ReneesCookClub on Instagram. She posts some tasty looking meals that she has tried, and now she shares a weekly three meal plan on a google doc. She also shares the shopping list and some quick tips. I have made some of the meals, and this soup was by far my favorite and will be in the rotation. The original recipe is from here.
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds COOKED chicken, cubed (or 2 lbs cooked shredded rotisserie chicken)
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cans (15.5 ounces) great northern white beans, fully drained and rinsed
- 3 cans (4 ounces) diced green chiles (I only added 1 I didn't want to make it too spicy)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream . (I opted out of this and used unsweetened almond milk)
- In a 6 qt dutch oven or stock pot, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil and lime juice over medium high heat. Cook until the onions are fragrant and translucent.
- Add in the cooked chicken, chicken broth, beans, chiles, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes, or until it's the thickness you desire.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cubed cream cheese. Stir constantly until the cream cheese melts and incorporates completely. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Top with as many or as few optional toppings as you desire.
I hope you give this a try. It was a hit with the whole family. Little Miss even asked for seconds. Stay cozy everyone!
Alicia@ Eco Natural Soap says
Going to have to make this soon. Looks and sounds so delicious!
It is so tasty I even made it again this weekend.