I found this recipe on Pinterest when my family was here over the Thanksgiving holiday, and I decided to give it a try. It was very tasty and healthy. If you need a break from the heavy holiday foods, this is a meal for you.
ACORN SQUASH STUFF WITH QUINOA AND AVOCADO
(recipe from Love and Lemons)
3-4 small acorn squash sliced in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 14 oz can green chiles
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa ( I made it for the first time in the rice cooker, and it was so easy.)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1/4 toasted pumpkin seeds (could substitute with sunflower seeds)
1/4 cup seta cheese
2 avocados, diced
A few squeezes of lime
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the insides. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast cut side up for around 35-50 mins or until the squash is tender in the middle and browned around the edges.
3. While the squash is roasting heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Cook the onion till translucent, then add the garlic, cumin, coriander and stir.
4. Add the green chiles and stir again and then add the cooked quinoa, black beans scallions, pumpkin seeds and more salt and pepper to taste.
5. Remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in diced avocado.
6. Scoop the filling into the acorn squash halves.
Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking says
This looks so delicious!