We joined a CSA this year which means that every Monday, I go to a designated spot and pick up a box of freshly picked organic vegetables and fruit. One of our boxes had a bunch of beets, and our son loves beets. And it just so happens that he was coming for an overnight visit that evening. I decided to make a beet and orange salad to go with the rest of the meal I prepared. I have seen beet and orange salad recipes online but decided to just make one without following any particular recipe. I have compiled my ingredients into a recipe for you today. And by the way, this refreshing summer salad was really good that evening and the next day for my lunch. Note that you add the oranges and the feta cheese at the last minute so they won’t turn red. Also, I did not include measurements for the vinaigrette because I just dump the ingredients into a jar and shake. Plus, most people have their own way to make the dressing.
- 6 medium beets, cooked, peeled, and sliced
- 2 oranges, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- Your favorite balsamic or citrus vinaigrette
- When the beets are prepped but still warm, add the vinaigrette. Add the amount you are comfortable with because you can add more later. Warm beets will absorb the flavors better.
- Right before serving, add the oranges, onion, cheese, and seeds and toss gently. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Serves 4
If you love beets, then you will enjoy this beet and orange salad. It takes beets to another level.
Oh, and one more thing. Today is flag day. If you like to fly the flag, here’s a reminder to put it out.