He suggested they would look great if you took some fun fabric or paper and updated a mat when you framed them. I loved that idea and the prints so much that I bought them.
For some time I have had them framed with basic white mats and black frames. I have been working on getting my office decorated and have moved my desk and chairs around multiple times. Finally, I have settled on a layout. So, now I have these prints framed and hanging behind my desk.
Please, please excuse the quality of this picture. I realized right before I did this project that I had never taken a before of them hanging on the wall. When I did take the shot, the light was horrible and the glare was a killer. Hopefully, you get the point.
I wasn’t sure in which direction I was going, but after painting my desk a bold color (I’ll show you soon), I decided I wanted even more color. One day at Hobby Lobby I found this fun fabric. By the way, I was impressed with all the fun fabric and prints they carried at Hobby Lobby. I bought enough to fit the four mats. I knew that if the project didn’t turn out the way I had imagined, it would not be a big loss of much time or money.
For these mats, I bought 1.5 yards hoping to make a pillow with the extra. I did a quick iron and then pulled out the mat to put on top of the fabric. I cut around the mat leaving about 1/2 inch on the sides.
I then added some spray adhesive and sprayed the mat and smoothed the fabric over it. When it was glued down, I cut out the middle, again leaving just a little bit to fold over.
Once I cut the inside, I added spray adhesive to the back of the mat and folded down the extra fabric.
After that was finished, I cut the corners of the fabric on the outside up to the mat and then folded up each side. That removed the unnecessary fabric that could create some bulk where I needed it to be smooth.
Please bear with me, because it is so hard for me to get a good shot of framed art. But here you go. Adding some fun colorful modern to these vintage prints completely updated the look and made them look fresh.
This was a great and easy update to these prints that I have always loved and now love even more. Again, if I tire of the mats this way, it will be easy to change them out to something else. It was such an easy project to do that I completed it during Little Miss’s nap time and even had time to spare. Oh, and here you can see my ghost chair in action!
Please remember to pin this one to your projects board.
affiliate link in post