Today’s recipe is a really good one, and I made it up on the fly. I had some fresh corn from our C.S.A. and needed to use it up. Plus, there was a package of imitation crab sitting in the fridge. So, I decided to whip up a corn and crab chowder and am so glad I did. We had enough for lunch one day and dinner the following evening. We were both leaving town, and I always like to clear out the food from the refrigerator before we go. This recipe was a perfect way to do that. If you don’t have fresh corn on hand, then frozen corn will be do.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Corn removed from 6 large ears of corn (can use 2 10-ounce packages of frozen corn)
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 package imitation crab, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in pan and add onion, salt, and pepper and cook till softened.
- Add garlic, corn, and potatoes. Cook on medium few minutes with lid on. Stir frequently.
- Add 2 cups chicken stock and simmer till vegetables are done. Add more if it becomes too dry.
- Add imitation crab.
- Heat milk in the microwave for 1 minute. Add to mixture.
- Add spinach and simmer all for 5 additional minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper as needed.
This chowder is a filling. The great thing about it is that it can be a summer time meal made with fresh corn, or it can be a comforting cold weather meal made with frozen corn. You might even consider adding some shredded cheese to the top. I didn’t do that this time, but I will consider it in the future.
Oh, and by the way, people have asked in the past what kind of pot I use when making soups, stews, and chowders. I love using my enameled cast iron Dutch oven that Jordan gave me for Christmas one year. You can find a similar one here. It is easy to spend a lot of money on a cast iron Dutch oven, but it is not necessary. I think in some cases, you are paying for the name.
Thank you so much for spending part of your day with us.
Affiliate link used.