I thought it might be fun to bring in a bit of the tropics to give us a taste of spring and lighter dessert days. I found this fresh lime cake from Laughing Spatula. She actually used key limes, but since I didn’t have them, I used plain ole limes, and it was still delicious. This refreshing cake is the perfect pick-me-up. I would even serve it at a girls’ luncheon. The photos don’t do it justice, but believe me when I tell you that it is really good. Enjoy!
- For the Cake
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 2/3 cups sugar; superfine sugar is best
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh key lime zest
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh Lime Frosting
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add milk, vanilla, lime juice, lime zest to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix with electric mixer until well blended
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake and frost with Fresh Lime Frosting.
- For Fresh Lime Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Add lime zest and lime juice. Beat an additional minute until well combined.
Do you have any big plans for the week-end? Be sure to make this cake part of it. Thank you so much for stopping in and spending part of your day with u s.