I don’t write the Friday recipe posts very often, but today’s food is kid-centered and easy to do. I wanted to come up with a simple Valentine gift that Little Miss could give her friends and actually help to make. Since some pretzels are shaped like hearts, I thought that would be an easy gift/treat to make. This is a good treat for adults because who doesn’t love pretzels and chocolate? It’s also good for the kids because it’s sweet, salty, and has sprinkles. In a young person’s world, that’s a win, win, win. Plus, teens, tweens, adults and toddlers can make this treat as long as the wee kids have adult supervision. So, if you have children or grandchildren who are on the lookout for something to give their friends along with a card, this could be it!!! All you need is heart shaped pretzels, pretzel rods, white chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, and red sprinkles. Oh, and if you have some of those cute, clear plastic bags from the Dollar Tree to put them in, they will be tasty and cute gifts.
I decided while Little Miss did the little pretzels that I would dip some pretzel rods.
Little Miss had a great time adding the sprinkles. Some are very sprinkle heavy, and I am sure her friends will love them!
I added some sprinkles as well to the white chocolate and chocolate pretzel rods I dipped.
- 1 bag of heart shaped pretzels (can be the big ones or the small ones)
- 1 bag white chocolate chips
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips (can use dark chocolate)
- Do this separately for each bag of chips.
- Fill bottom of double boiler with water and place on low heat. Place chocolate chips in the top (can use a metal pan if you don't have an actual double boiler) of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water and allow it to melt. Do not cover. When most of the chocolate is shiny, stir until smooth.
- Remove from heat and dip half of a pretzel into the chocolate. Add sprinkles to the top immediately.
- Set aside to cool on wax or parchment paper.
- When cooled, put in a bag and tie with a cute ribbon.
- Follow these directions to melt your chips in a microwave:
- Heat chocolate chips on medium high for about 1 minute to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency.
They make festive little gifts for the big and small kids in your life and for your adult friends. Enjoy!