Zucchini is a favorite vegetable of mine, and believe me when I say I have prepared many recipes that use zucchini. It seems as if you can hide zucchini in almost any dish, and no one will know. For these stuffed zucchini boats, the zucchinis are the star. After all, they are the foundation that holds everything. Without them, this dish would be impossible. This is a throw-back recipe that has been around a long time, but it is also a comfort food in my book. Enjoy this recipe for stuffed zucchini boats that I found on Allrecipes.com.
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 3 medium zucchinis
- 1 pound ground meat (I used ground turkey)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 375. Cut each zucchini in half long ways. Scoop each one out without puncturing sides. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a baking pan and add zucchinis. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown ground meat in a skillet along with the zucchini pulp, onion, salt, pepper, and oregano. Make sure it is broken up into small pieces. When done, drain fat.
- Add 1 cup marinara sauce to meat mixture and mix well. Add more if needed.
- After 20 minutes, remove zucchinis from oven and place equal amounts of meat mixture into each boat.
- Pour any remaining sauce over boats. Top with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes more or till done.
- Serves 6.
This is a good main course, and the leftovers are really great, too. Here are a few more recipes that contain zucchini: