I haven’t made a casserole in ages, but after a big bicycle ride followed by garden work in the courtyard, dinner time arrived, and I didn’t have anything prepared. Luckily, I had all of the ingredients on hand to make chicken divan. (By the way, if you have leftovers from this recipe, then use that.) Chicken divan is a favorite that I haven’t made for years. I have never really used a recipe. I just combine the ingredients and put it in the oven. When it was time to write this post, I sat down and wrote up the exact procedure and ingredients I used to make this delicious comfort food.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 package chopped frozen broccoli, prepared according to package directions and then drain well
- 1 can mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup bread crumbs, crushed crackers, rice cereal, or potato chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Bake chicken breasts in 350 degree oven till done, approximately 45 minutes to an hour. (I like to use the bone-in chicken breasts.)
- Remove chicken from bone and cut into one inch cubes.
- Spray cooking spray on a 8 inch square casserole dish.
- Press broccoli into the bottom of the dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, 3/4 can mushroom soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Spread on top of broccoli.
- Top with crushed crackers, cereal or chips and the nuts.
- Drizzle butter over the topping.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top. Return to oven for five minutes.
- Serves 4.
Since you already have a veggie and a meat in the chicken divan, it’s a complete meal. Serve it with garlic bread, and some fruit for dessert. Enjoy.