With the running of the Kentucky Derby soon, you just might be looking for some quick and easy appetizers to enjoy while watching the race. Here in Kentucky, Derby Day is a really big deal. The day starts out with brunch, then lunch, then drinks and appetizers, and then dinner after the race. If you are planning to host a drinks and appetizers get-together or if you just want to munch on something while you and your family watch the activities, then add this one to your list. Make it the day before so that the flavors have time to blend. I popped everything in the food processor, and it was ready in matter of minutes.
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Note - If you use a food processor, you don't have to chop each ingredient. Just pop them in and pulse it a few times.
- If you do not use a food processor, mix all of the chopped items in a bowl.
- Serve with your favorite corn chips. It tastes best if made the day before and refrigerated till serving time. Also, you might have to drain some of the extra liquid from it.
I hope your horse wins!