Twice on our recent trip, we were served homemade cinnamon ice cream as part of our dessert. Once it was served with an apple tart, and once with a yellow cake. It was the first time we had eaten cinnamon ice cream, and I realized that I had been missing out on one of life’s truly good foods. When I came home, I searched and found a cinnamon ice cream recipe here. This dessert is good enough to stand alone, but if you wish, you can serve it as a side to any other dessert. How about making an ice cream sandwich using it with oatmeal cookies? Yum! I used my Cuisinart ice cream maker and made it early one morning (hello jet lag) and was finished by 4:30 a.m.!!! It’s important to make the custard the day before or at least early enough that it can get nice and cold in the fridge. You can serve it as soon as it is made as a soft serve, or put it in the freezer for later. Take it out while you eat your main course, and it will be soft enough to dip once dessert time rolls around.
Cinnamon Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the sugar and half-and-half. When the mixture begins to simmer, remove from heat, and whisk half of the mixture into the eggs. Whisk quickly so that the eggs do not scramble. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan, and stir in the heavy cream. Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside to cool. Can be made a day or two in advance. Keep in refrigerator.
- Pour cooled mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- For soft serve, eat right away. For more solid ice cream, transfer to a container with a lid and freeze for a few hours.
We have a fun week-end and week ahead. Little Miss, along with her parents are coming for the week-end. Then she and Jordan are staying on for a week. I will be in Grandma heaven. See you tomorrow for the Saturday Selections.