Mr. Right and I were craving something sweet a few days ago for dessert. Since I had just bought a few quarts of strawberries at the grocery, I went online and googled strawberry cake. I didn’t want to make a plain ole short cake, not that there’s anything wrong with that. I found an easy strawberry cake recipe on the Martha Stewart website. Often times, Martha’s recipes are anything but easy, but this one mixed up in just a few minutes and was ready for us to have a warm piece when dinner was over. It was really tasty, and I think that if you are a strawberry lover, you will like this yummy dessert.
Source – Martha Stewart
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Cut into wedges.
This is super good served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Okay, gang. That’s it for our Friday. Thank you all so much for spending part of your day with us. We appreciate each and every one of you and hope The 2 Seasons blog is a part of your daily reading. We will see you here tomorrow with our Saturday Selections.