The combo of ginger and lemon in a shortbread cookie is a pleasant surprise. I made a batch of these goodies on a rainy Tuesday afternoon, and along with a cup of tea, they were a true afternoon delight. The ginger makes them a great cookie for cool weather, and the freshness of lemon makes them perfect for hot days. Whip some up for an afternoon treat for the kiddos or for a tea time get-together with your gal pals. Hopefully, both groups will enjoy them as much as I did.
GINGER SHORTBREAD COOKIES WITH LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Source – Southern Living magazine
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
1/8 teaspoon table salt
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (follows)
– Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy duty electric stand mixer till creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Stir in vanilla.
– Stir together flour, ginger, and slat; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended after each addition.
– Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter. Place 2 inches apart on 2 parchment lined baking sheets (12 per sheet). Reroll scraps once.
– Bake at 275 for 40 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom. Cool on bakin gsheet 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
– Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Spread about 1 tablespoon on each cooled cookie, using a small spatula.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered suga
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and beat well. Stir in zest and juice. Use immediately.
That’s it for this week. Thank you all for spending time with us. Mr. Right and I have been dog sitting Gracie while Jordan and Charles are in Thailand getting Little Miss. I am a huge dog lover, and it’s so nice to have the pitter patter of her little feet around. She is a ball of energy!!!
Be sure to come back tomorrow for our Saturday Selections.