If you are looking for a delicious vegetarian chili recipe, than this one is for you. It has been so cold this week in Syracuse that I decided it was time to make some vegetarian chili. This time I created a new recipe by combining the ingredients that I found in some different recipes. We are trying to eat less meat around here, and we were both really happy with the result because not only was it good, but it helped to keep us warm.
-2 tbsp olive oil or you can use cooking spray
-1/2 cup chopped celery
-1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
-1 cup chopped onion
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-6 cups of diced tomatoes with juice
-1 tbsp chili powder
-1 tsp oregano
-salt and pepper dashes
-1 can of rinsed black beans
-1 can of rinsed kidney beans
– Veggie broth or chicken broth to add if you feel it is too thick.
1. Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat.
2. Add celery, red pepper and onions. Let cook for about five minutes or till soft.
3. Add the garlic and cook for another two minutes.
4. Add diced tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix. At this stage if you think it is too thick, you can add some broth or water.
5. Cook for 10 minutes and then add the black and kidney beans and stir.
6. Simmer for around 20-30 minutes
You can add cheese, sour cream, green onions or whatever you like to spiff up the chili. I hope you enjoy, and we look forward to seeing you tomorrow for our Seasons’ Saturday Selections.