This project was started two years ago. I know, right? We realized then that we needed a new toilet, and one thing lead to another. We ended up upgrading, and with that came a need for some new flooring. However, we never actually got around to finishing the job. Whoops! And so for two years our new toilet has looked like this. We have 12 out of town family members coming for Thanksgiving, and most of them haven’t been here for two years. We absolutely can’t have them seeing the toilet look just like it did when they were here way back then.
As I said, to make things work, we had to rip out part of the tile. We were in crunch time because we were hosting Thanksgiving circa 2012, and we needed the bathroom up and running. Fast forward two years, and we are still where we started. Plus, it’s crunch time again because our company will start arriving next Monday. Yikes!!!
In addition to adding new tile, we are also adding heating elements to the floor. I am ready to have a winter without cold toes. Yankee is doing the work, and since he does have a full-time job, he is doing the construction in the evenings.
Here you can see the tile and toilet setup? The tile wasn’t bad, but we just loved the original tile look we saw in so many houses when we were house hunting. We didn’t feel this tile was accurate for our house which was built in 1928.
Gracie, came in when I was taking before pictures, and she even looks worried we are not going to finish in time. Is she doubting our skills?
This is a small bathroom, and there is really only room for one of us to be working in there at a time. Yankee is doing such a good job, so I’ll let him stick with it.
Here you can see we discovered that we have two layers of tile. The little white tile must be original to the house, but we are unable to save it which is a bummer. It turns out that the demo is a little more involved than we originally thought. Yankee had to rip up the first level of tile and then a whole section of concrete and then the original tile.
He was able to get some chunks out, and here you can see the thickness of the concrete under and on top of the tile.
Under the tile was chicken wire, and then finally, he made it down to the paper and subfloor! If we had the original floor, we would not have changed it despite the cold toes.
Yankee continues to be hard at work. As of last night it looked as if he is ready to start putting down some plywood before he adds self leveling concrete. We need to build the floor back up to get it even with the tub. So, once again we are now officially in crunch time since we have to deal with drying times.
Meanwhile, this is the new tile we ordered. It is here and ready to be installed. We opted for a basket weave, and this one was our favorite. It was available at Amazon.com which made it so easy to order. Here you can see more information about the tile.
We have also decided to add floor heat to help make our one full bath feel fancier, and here in Syracuse it will be used a lot. We lucked out and found this heating system on Amazon as well, and it had good reviews. If you want to read more about this product, you can go here.
Wish us luck! I’ll be updating our progress on Instagram, so be sure to follow us!
Affiliate links were used in this post.