You read that right. Today I am entering a coconut cream pie in the Great American Pie Contest. This event kicks off Lexington’s Fourth of July celebration. I just hope I don’t embarrass myself. Since I am elbow-deep in sugar and flour, I thought it would be nice to share the recipe with you. We featured this delicious recipe on our blog before. It is the best pie out there. I just hope the judges agree.
The recipe is taken from a Better Homes and Gardens pie and cake cookbook given to me as a wedding gift by my third grade teacher. It’s an old-fashioned recipe, and it will earn you some compliments.
COCONUT CREAM PIE
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– Whisk those 3 ingredients together.
– Slowly add 2 cups cold milk and mix well.
– Cook over medium heat and stir constantly. When it begins to boil, cook two minutes more.
– Remove from heat and add 3 slightly beaten egg yolks that have been tempered.
– Return to heat and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
– Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 cup of shredded coconut.
– Pour into a baked pie shell. Cool.
– Make meringue by whipping 3 egg whites with 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch. Spread onto cooled coconut mixture and be sure to seal all sides. Top with 1/4 cup of coconut. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake. It will burn quickly.
Stand back and prepare to receive lots of compliments and kisses.
Take care, and wish me luck!!!
Congrats to Cindy the winner of our enamel house sign giveaway. Cindy I just emailed you. Thanks to all that entered!