Mom and I decided that a perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day on our blog is to feature our spin on one or two projects each day that John and Sherry Petersik developed for their bookYoung House Love (available here) . Afterall, it’s all about the love, right? And we’re here to spread it around. So welcome to “The 2 Seasons Celebrate Young House Love Week.”
Today we are featuring our take on Project 140, Make Decal Art.
When I was going through the YHL book, I thought this project was such a cute idea, and I had the perfect art I wanted to make. If you have been reading for a while, you know my parents gave Mr. Spring and me a custom-designed monogram for our engagement gift. We have used it many times, and I thought that it would be perfect for this project. Plus, with the Silhoulette Cameo that I received for Christmas, I knew I could now cut it out.
The great thing about this project is it didn’t cost a thing. I had everything on hand. Mr. Spring has a pile of scrap wood, and I found a piece just the size I wanted. I put a couple of layers of stain on it to give it a darker and more finished-looking color. I used wood stain we had on hand.
The next thing I did was cut out our monogram in vinyl so I could stick it onto the wood. This step did not work, and the vinyl was not staying put. Then I went to Plan B. I cut our monogram out of contact paper, and it stuck. The contact paper was leftover from the silhouette project I did of Gracie.
Here you can see how the contact paper worked with the silhouette, and it was staying on the wood. It wasn’t the best stick, but it worked much better than the vinyl.
I wanted to use a fun color, and I had this turquoise acrylic in my paint stash. Since the contact paper was on the wood, the next step was to apply the paint. I had to be very careful because the contact paper could have decided at any minute that it didn’t want to adhere.
Here it is – the finished wood art. You can see the lines are not as crisp as I would have liked, but I can’t complain. I am very happy with the end result. I used tweezers to pick up the parts of the contact paper while the paint was still wet, and that caused some of the smear. From a distance, you can’t tell. Next up I’ll attach some hooks to the back so I can attach it to our gallery wall.
Linking to www.savvysouthernstyle.net (Wow Us Wednesday) and