Happy Monday! Mom and I have been reposting our favorite post at the beginning of each month from the same month last year. We had a lot going on last October, but overall, our favorite blog entry was the reveal of the thrift store hutch we overhauled together. To see the hutch with its new drawer lining, you can go here. It’s funny to see this post because we have also installed new hardwood floors in the room where we did the work. I think our photography skills have improved since then, too. Enjoy.
My mother spent a week with us recently, and we had a great time taking on some painting projects. We painted our kitchen and our guest bedroom. We also took a trip to the Salvation Army store and spotted this 1976 pine hutch for $129.00 We knew it had great potential, and we bought it right away.
I forgot to take a picture when the hutch was still together, and I found this look-alike online. So here is the before of the hutch. We decided to remove some of the early American curves.
I am trying to remove the bottom section of the hutch to make the lines straighter. I was laughing because Gracie was wanting to play and kept bringing me toys. We removed some trim that made it look too colonial so that the lines would be straighter. Mr. Spring and I live in a 1928 craftsmen house, and we wanted the hutch to look better in our house.
After four coats of paint, it looks like this.
The trim now is straight and linear. The “panes” were brass and we painted them white. (I see from the photos that I still have some paint to scrape off.)
We definitely want to update the hardware because this is too early American for our tastes. Meanwhile, I painted it oil based bronze. The problem is that some of the holes for the hardware are three inches apart and some are four.
I also need to line the drawers and get rid of the 1776 look.
I have lots of accessorizing to do. Right now I have placed my vintage state glasses, here, in the cabinets. I will be on the look-out for the right items.
I love having a nice surface to use when we are entertaining. It will be a great place to set the desserts.
Thanks to a recipe I found at No Minimalist Here, we mixed our own chalk paint. It was a huge savings.