I belong to a garden club, and every summer we have a picnic together. It is always set up in one of the member’s beautiful back yards, and the food is always delish. This is my third year as a member of the garden club, and I have taken the same dish to every picnic. It has become a requested item.
The recipe is taken from a Better Homes and Gardens pie and cake cookbook given to me as a wedding gift by my third grade teacher. It’s an old-fashioned recipe, and it will earn you some compliments.
COCONUT CREAM PIE
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– Whisk those 3 ingredients together.
– Slowly add 2 cups cold milk and mix well.
– Cook over medium heat and stir constantly. When it begins to boil, cook two minutes more.
– Remove from heat and add 3 slightly beaten egg yolks that have been tempered.
– Return to heat and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
– Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 cup of shredded coconut.
– Pour into a baked pie shell. Cool.
– Make meringue by whipping 3 egg whites with 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch. Spread onto cooled coconut mixture and be sure to seal all sides. Top with 1/4 cup of coconut. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Be careful not to over bake. It will burn quickly.
Stand back and prepare to receive lots of compliments and kisses.
Win a set of hooknooks. All you have to do is leave a comment. For a second chance, like us on Facebook and let us know you do. Contest ends at 6 p.m. EST Monday, Aug. 20. Winner will be announced Tuesday, Aug. 21.
Take care and have a great week-end!!!