Honestly, Jordan and I didn’t have a clue which recipe we would use for our regular Friday recipe post. That is until I received this morning’s Lexington Herald-Leader. Its regular Thursday food section featured a recipe I had never made and frankly had never heard of.
Since I had all of the ingredients on hand, I decided to mix it up really fast and let it bake while I caught up on my blog reading. (Also, I was killing time while waiting to do a radio interview, but that is way off topic).
My photo of the finished product isn’t as pretty as the one in the paper, but I conquered another French recipe, and it tastes really great. Score!!!
– Pam for spraying the pan
– 5 large egg yolks
– 1 cup superfine sugar (You can make this by giving granulated sugar a whirl in the food processor for 60 seconds).
– 1 1/2 cups whole or slivered almonds, finely ground in the food processor
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
– 1 pound strawberries, hulled
– Confectioner’s sugar for dusting
– In a double boiler with simmering water, constantly whisk the yolks and sugar till triple in volume and warm. Remove from heat and fold in almonds, vanilla, and salt. Spread into a tart pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Arrange strawberries, pressing them into the frangipane so they are mostly submerged.
– Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve either warm or cool. Can be topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
(Note: I paraphrased the original recipe to simplify it).
Have a wonderful week-end. We are looking forward to a bunch of bicycling. We are training for two upcoming cycling trips.