Mud Room Reveal

Finally, after living in our new digs for 11 months, I am ready to show you all the mud room.  First, let’s take a look at what it looked like before we moved in.

(Before)

Originally, what is now the mud room was a breezeway that connected the garage to the townhouse.  At the architect’s suggestion, we had it enclosed when we gutted the place after buying it but before moving in.

This is the same view today.  Now, let’s take a look inside.  By the way, if you would like to see our Ralph Lauren inspired courtyard, just go here.

And here it is.  By mud room standards, it is a big room.  It is a nice long room that gives Mr. Autumn his space, and I get my space.

We each have a bench for putting our shoes on and taking them off.  We both wear slippers in the house, and so we need a place to sit when we change into our shoes.  This is Mr. Autumn’s bench.

This is my bench.  I bought the benches at World Market.

Both of our areas have hooks, from IKEA, for hanging our coats.  My late grandmother’s church hat is hanging there in the corner.  Plus, we both have mirrors that are in faux window panes.  The mirrors are great because they reflect the courtyard, and we can take a final check to make sure there is no spinach in our teeth.

Because of the way the room is proportioned, Mr. Autumn has two mirrors but one set of hooks, and I have one mirror but two sets of hooks.  That was determined by the way the exterior windows were lined up.

Because the room is so long, we had to put two runners on the floor.

I love how bright and cheery they are.

This little rustic bench fits perfectly into a narrow area.  It’s a nice place to keep a lamp that we turn on when we go out in the evening.  It is much more welcoming to return home to a lamp than the glaring overhead lights.  The little dovecote is there in the spring and summer, and then I switch it out for something else in the fall and winter.

This mahogany armoire was in our master bedroom in our last house.  I store my shoes in it.  I have thought about painting it.  What do you think?  Should I paint it?  If so, what color should I use?

We used the same colors in the mud room that we used in the main part of the house, including a painted ceiling to match the kitchen’s ceiling.

We added a separate heating/air conditioning unit in the mudroom so that it can be comfortable all year round.

Overall, we are thrilled with the way the mud room turned out. It is bright, cheery, roomy, attractive, functional, and has lots of storage.  What else could we need?

Click here to like The 2 Seasons on Facebook.

Take care.

Linking to

Comments

This is wonderful. Love all the brick and then those wonderful colorful rugs really add the pop of color. That armoire is gorgeous. Not sure I would paint it. If you did it would probably look great in navy.

First, you had me at that picture of you and your daughter! Just love it so much. Put a big old smile on my face …

That mudroom is such a great space. Smart move enclosing that wasted space.

And when you talked about your husband changing his shoes and putting on slippers I had a serious Mr. Rogers flashback …

🙂

Linda

It is so beautiful! It is exactly what the space needed I think. And I adore the brick floor! I found you at Ginger Snap’s party and I’m so glad!

What a great mudroom transformation. I’m not sure I would paint the armoire. I like the deep rich color it adds to the space.

Oh wow! Where to begin? 🙂 That is such an incredible space. The brick is so beautiful and it has such a British sensibility to it. I love the armoire and would be hard pressed to come up with a color for it! The mirrors are so perfect reflecting the light from the windows. It is all just gorgeous!
    Vanessa

Your mud room is amazing. I am so inspired. Thank you for this wonderful post! I would love it if you would share this at our What’s It Wednesday blog party. Hope to see you there.

Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

I love it! I don’t think I would paint the armoire as I like how it blends in with the brick wall. If you painted it, then it would be the focus of attention. As it is now, the brick wall is the focus. I love the cheerful runners too. I can see why you have lots of hooks and only one mirror on your side – because you have lots more coats than hubby and already are gorgeous 😉

Oh my goodness, love your mud room! It’s huge! I honestly don’t know what I’d do with the armoire, it’s such a nice piece to be painted. It all looks great and whatever you decide to do will look great too!
    Good luck,
    Debbie

9. Pondside says

I miss having a mudroom. In a house near Philadelphia, for three years we had one that highly resembled yours – in the enclosed breezeway between kitchen and garage, complete with brick floor. Here we enter the kitchen directly from the garage.
    I like what you’ve done. I wouldn’t paint the armoire. I like the look of a layered home. The trend right now is to paint and distress anything that doesn’t move, and when everything is painted I find that the result is a somewhat nouveau look and not as interesting as having a few pieces left in their original condition.

10. ccoop says

Great mudroom. I wouldn’t paint the armoire. I think painting beautiful wood is just so wrong!!

11. Carolyn says

I think the armoire is beautiful as is. It is much too nice a piece of furniture to paint and the mahogany color adds such a rich warmth to the space. It’s a nice contrast to the white benches too. Good call from the architect to enclose the space since weather is a factor in our climate.

12. Peggy Daley says

LOve it! just found your blog ! where did rugs come from! Blue rugs are so hard to find and I need for my kitchen.