A Love Affair

It is finally finished, and I am in love.  The cabinets are complete, and I couldn’t be happier with the final look.   I am not showing a step by step process because I followed the exact advice that John and Sherry gave on cabinet painting at  Young House Love.  Click here for their amazing step by step process for painting cabinets. If you want to see some of my progress, you can click here and here.

Here is the before with gold paint color and wood cabinets.

We lived with the gold cabinets and natural wood cabinets for a year.  Then my mom and I painted the walls light blue.  That helped tremendously because there finally was some contrast between the wall and cabinet colors.

This is the same view as above post paint job but after hours and hours of work.  Let’s call it a labor of love.

Now, here’s the other side of the kitchen work area.

The lighting wasn’t the best when  I took this picture, but you get an idea of the impact.  It looks like a different house, doesn’t it???  We left the wood molding around the countertop the same as it was before for two reasons.  One – it matches the floor and ties the two spaces together.  Two – we were afraid that the wear and tear that area gets would cause the paint to chip or rub off.

On the right of my kitchen is an area that the former owner used as a desk.  Since we already have a study/working office space, we were using this area as a catch-all.  It was our drop area for mail, etc.  I decided to make it into our coffee station, complete with a cappuccino sign I bought at Hobby Lobby.

I made a basic tan skirt to cover up small appliances, and our basket of shoes and boots which we store on the shelves in this great area.   I used this basic color because I wasn’t sure which colors we would eventually use in the kitchen.

When my mom was here, we selected  this colorful fabric that has a light blue background.  She made the new curtain.  It is so cute and a great way to add some fun color in the kitchen.

I can’t be happier with our new look.  For less than one hundred dollars, we took our kitchen from a “granny” look  to “a young couple lives here” look.  We are planning to buy new appliances early next year, but I don’t mind the old ones now.  I can live with them a little while longer since everything else is so bright and cheery.

Click here to Like The 2 Seasons on Facebook.

Linking to Between Naps On The Porch Delectable Home

vif187

Comments

Your cabinets look great! It looks like a different house! Love the coffee station too. I have a desk in the kitchen and I hate it. It catches too much stuff and always looks messy. You’ve given me an idea.
    Have a great week,
    Debbie

I have the same cabinets in my bathrooms and have been thinking of staining them somehow. Maybe white is the way to go to match up with our white kitchen cabinets. This looks great. Thanks for sharing!

I love your transformation. It’s a perfect job on the color selection which makes such a huge difference. It also makes the kitchen look larger and the detailing is great. It must feel wonderful to have it done. How great to have your Mom help. Jane

I love it! The blue and white looks so fresh and airy. I like the coffee station too – that’s one of the things on my list of kitchen updates. I’d love it if you would share this at my very first linkup party and giveaway @ the Delectable Home.

Wow! What a transformation! I’ve been thinking about painting my oak cabinets white, and this may be the inspiration that pushes me to do it. Thanks for sharing!

Can’t wait to see your next project… 😉

Maggie

6. dee dee says

Your kitchen update is so bright and beautiful! Great job and on such a small budget (way to go!) dee dee

Love the look of your newly painted cabinets. I am moving in about three weeks to a white kitchen. I have never had a while one so I am excited to decorate it! Your kitchen looks wonderful, what a change!

8. Amanda says

I love it! I was really hoping to see the “after” today. It reminds me of the kitchen at your parents’ old house a little bio bright and cheerful!

Fantastic work, I love your counter top and that you left the “woody” edge. It looks like the kitchen has room to breathe.

Looks fantastic – I know you must love being in your kitchen with this bright, “new” look! Thanks for sharing with us, I found your link at Between Naps. Hugs ~ Mary

11. Pondside says

Well done – it is beautiful. You will certainly have a lot of ‘sweat equity’ in your house!

What a beautiful kitchen you now have! Your white cupboards make such a difference and that coffee station is a great idea. I bet you love cooking and working in there now. Well done!!

Wow! This looks amazing! It’s just miraculous what a coat (or a few dozen coats) of paint can do for a kitchen. Those cabinets just pop now – I love the style of the cabinets at the paint just make them look brand new. I’m also loving the idea of the curtain – what a fun way to bring in a pop of color. I’ve been thinking of creating a curtain below our farmhouse sink (which currently has doors). My only fear is that my dogs will see it as an open invitation to get in the cabinet. =)

What awesome work!

I LOVE your coffee station!!! I wish I had room for something like that. The whole kitchen looks amazing and fresh. What a coat of paint can do!
    Stunning Transformation.

Wow, it looks beautiful! I have those same cabinets in my kitchen and have been contemplating paint them white myself but wondered what they would look like… now I know! :) They look GREAT!!!

Tania

The kitchen looks GREAT!!! Could you come do mine now?? I know, it’s a labor of love. I understand.

Have a God Filled Day
    Shirley

Shirley,

It is a labor of love. I am hoping I never have to paint kitchen cabinets again. However when I go into my kitchen and see the new look it makes of for all the time and energy spent making them white.

17. FABBY says

It almost looks like it’s on another house…boy, what a change! Fabulous, you did a terrific job!
    Happy weekend.