The Holidays in Syracuse

Author:  Spring (Jordan)

Greetings all.  I know this is a busy week for everyone, but I just thought I would share a couple of things I have done to get into in the holiday spirit.

Our house is decked out and  ready for the holidays.  This was the first year we hung the wreaths and decorated the window boxes, and I love them both. You can read about making your own holiday window boxes here.  Last year at this time we were still in moving boxes and were lucky just to put up a tree.

In November I received the Pottery Barn catalog, and in one of the living rooms they had black and white winter photos with a red mat in silver frames.  I loved the look.  I didn’t have the black and white winter photos, so instead, I used some of the old Christmas postcards I have collected.  I bought white mats and painted them red.  I love how they turned out.

Sorry the quality of the photo is not that great because of the glare, but you get the idea.

Here is another old postcard.

We are slowly growing our Christmas decoration collection, and I am trying to use what I already have on hand.  With that in mind, I took the chalk board platter I made (you can read about it here.)  I have been writing different holiday sayings on the platter and changing them regularly.  This is so easy to do and fun for everyone.

You can get creative or even flirtatious with the sayings. Here are a couple the possibilities:

“Let it Snow”

“Baby, it’s cold outside”

“There’s no place like home for the holidays”

“Joy to the world”

“I’m dreaming of a White Christmas”

“Twas the night before Christmas”

“Every time a bell rings, an

angel gets its wings”

Last year at this time, we had five feet of snow on the ground.  We are ready, our house is ready, but evidently Mother Nature is easing into it this year.  We have had just a “dusting”.  I might regret saying this, but ……”Let it snow, let in snow, let it snow”!!!!

Click here to like us on Facebook.

Linking to Photobucket

Comments

Oh, your house is just beautiful – just like a postcard! Love the wreaths and your window boxes and your red door! The little vintage postcards look so cute framed.
    Merry Christmas!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉

Your home looks beautiful! The wreaths & flower boxes are lovely. I love the framed post cards too.

Your Mom stopped by my blog, so I thought I’d come over here to take a look. I was surprised to see Syracuse in the title of your post. I live about 50 miles to the east of Syracuse. I don’t usually run across many Central NY bloggers. Nice to meet you!

Your house looks so pretty with the wreaths. I really do love that look; this is the first year that I didn’t hang wreaths on my windows and I miss it.

Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.

Have a wonderful Christmas and A Happy New Year!!

4. Jen says

I love the way your framed postcards turned out. Be careful what you wish for….just a dusting here as well but both our grown children are travelling during the holidays and it makes it so much easier when there is no snow!

I’m enjoying your blog/and your Mom’s blog very much. So happy I found it a few months ago.

Merry Christmas

Jeannette

The exterior of your home looks amazing! I am such a fan of wreaths on windows and always mean to do this each Christmas. But how do you attach them? Do you not have screens on your windows?

Also – I love your red door. Although I may be biased, because we also have a gray house with red door. =)

Thanks Kim

I have always loved the look of wreaths and was thrilled with how it all turned out. I do have screens on my window but they are half screens. Our old house does have new windows so I drop down the top to put the wreath outside. I then take the ribbon bring some of it inside and close the window and lock. It has been really windy here and they all are still hanging without any nails or screws. I love the red door you have as well they both are so cute!

hi Janette!
    Love, love, love your house!!! It is beautiful and soooo perfect for Christmas decorations! I love your red front door!
    Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!
    joan

p.s. thank you so much for leaving your “calling card” and for your sweet note- I loved hearing about your kitchen marble!