To Market, To Market

Author:  Autumn (Janette)

Have you seen those cute, old French market baskets that some people have been lucky enough to find? Sherry at No Minimalist Here has a great one.  I have been wanting one to use as an umbrella holder in our foyer, but I have N.E.V.E.R. seen a truly old one.

IMG 1208 681x1024 - To Market, To Market

During a recent visit to Jordan’s house in Syracuse, we made a stop at Joann’s, and I spotted this baby on sale for half price.  I thought with some tweaking, I could make it appear older.

IMG 1209 1024x681 - To Market, To Market

First, I removed the cheap fabric and attached the wheels, even though they are plastic.

IMG 12111 1024x681 - To Market, To Market

Then I gave it two coats of stain.  I purposely did a messy job so that it would look as if it aged over time.  The stain added just a subtle patina which you can see here next to the unstained part.

IMG 1305 875x1024 - To Market, To Market

Although it isn’t authentically old, I can live with the way it looks, and it fits perfectly beside the grandfather clock in our foyer.

IMG 1306 588x1024 - To Market, To Market

Until I can find an original, this little reproduction French market basket will do just fine.

Take care.

Linking to PhotobucketPhotobucket
Party+Button+collage - To Market, To Market

Comments

1. Linda@Coastal Charm says

Oh my…you had one AWESOME idea here…LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing it at my party.

Blessings,
    Linda

2. Beth says

I have a photograph that I took in Versailles of a straw market where they sold these wonderful market baskets. They are simply to die for. So when your ready, I know where you can purchase one!!

3. Carolyn Rasnick says

Very clever!! So cute and functional. You gals never cease to amaze me with your innovations!!

Janette, Boy do I ever love all the white in your kitchen. We opted to buy a home two years ago instead of build because there were some good deals out there. I love my home, but it has NO white. I love white so I hope to change it in the future. My walls are all cream with tan woodwork. I have lots of cupboards and they are a beautiful wood. Too much wood for my taste. My hubby about died last year when I painted my island and fan hood turquoise. Still loving it. Your screen is a wonderful idea. Our kitchen/family room area is totally open also. The area is way to wide for a screen, but it sure works perfect for yours. You can put it up and cook in the nude if you want. lol! sorry, I just couldn’t resist.

Hi, it’s me again. sorry that my comment was on the wrong post. gotta tell you, I had an old umbrella basket. Like a dummy I used it out on my deck for a garbage and It finally fell apart.

Great job, Janette! I bought one of those baskets, too – after I read Rosemary’s tutorial on aging hers. Check it out on ozmaofodds.blogspot.com. She is seriously amazing!!!!! 🙂

xoxo laurie